Repeat after me: There is no fear in fat. Egg yolks are good. Saturated fat from coconut is healthy. Your body needs it for fuel, and is the preferred fuel for optimal brain function. The great thing about this recipe is the addition of gelatin which supplies collagen, the structural protein that improves hair, skin, and gut health. I’ve given a few batches of these to a friend with stage 4 pancreatic cancer who didn’t have a taste for much at the beginning of her chemo treatments, and this was one of the few things she could tolerate.
Lemon Zest Custard Cups
- 4 large egg yolks
- 2 cups full fat coconut milk
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Dash nutmeg
- 2 teaspoons gelatin
- 1/3 cup fresh lemon juice
- Whisk together egg yolks in small bowl and set aside. Heat coconut milk, honey, vanilla, and nutmeg in a saucepan on medium heat for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add about a half cup of the hot coconut milk mixture to the egg yolks to thin, so that when the yolks are added to the saucepan, they don’t immediately curdle.
- Pour the egg yolk and coconut mixture into the sauce pan and whisk until combined. Wisk until the mixture starts to thicken, about 5 minutes.
- Transfer the warm mixture to your high speed blender, THEN add the fresh lemon juice and gelatin right before blending. I’ve found if I add the lemon juice into the saucepan to go through the heating process, it tastes tinny.
- Pour blended mixture into ramekins or small mason jars and chill in the fridge for at least 4 hours or until set. These also freeze well.
Photos and Content Copyright © Jaclyn Beaty Nutrition, 2018